Drinking a lot and without any limits affects your daily life, relationships and work life. Occasional drinking is acceptable but excessive drinking can lead to alcohol use disorder (AUD) like alcohol abuse, dependence and addiction. There isa number of ways to prevent alcohol addiction.
Preventing uncontrolled alcohol use
Most of the prevention programs for alcohol focus on opening the door of communication between friends and loved ones to avoid the risk of the alcohol problem. The approach to prevention of alcohol use disorder works for youngsters or adults who are just at an early stage of alcoholism. Alcohol addiction is most likely to happen in those who have a family history of substance abuse.
Joining an alcohol addiction rehab San Diego by genesis recovery can be very helpful if you are settled in California. They have onsite service and telephone services. They provide treatment for chemical and mental health issues.
Who can be at risk of alcohol use disorder?
Alcohol addiction can happen to anyone at any age or any gender. Factors that can increase the risk of alcohol usage
- Having a history of alcohol usage in the family.
- Having people around you that encourage alcohol consumption.
- Having an environment with easy alcohol accessibility.
- Having an unhealthy pattern of drinking.
- Drinking regularly.
- People with stressful jobs and workspace pressure.
- Having low self-esteem and pressure around peers.
- Being stressed emotionally.
Beginning alcohol addiction prevention with young adults
These points can be used to help young adults make the right decision related to alcohol consumption.
- Having a healthy and open conversation with the young adults about alcohol. Talk to them about the statics and side effects of consuming alcohol at a young age. Get strong bond between yourself and the younger ones, it will make them more comfortable to have an open conversation.
Make rules for alcohol consumption and inform the teens about having excessive alcohol usage consequences. Educating your kids at an early stage helps them make the right decision. It will help them by reducing the risk of substance abuse.
- Teach the way of coping with stress. Few young adults take alcohol as a stress buster which is not right. Teach them the right and healthy ways to cope with depression and stress.
How to prevent alcohol addiction as an adult
- Have a limit on the drinks.
- Try not to avoid binge drink and drinking heavily
- Know your triggers, know which emotion, person or action tends you to have more alcohol. It will help you get control over it.
- Prevent drinking because of emotional feelings.
- Having a conversation with a trusted person about the stress or guilt which gets you drinking can help you get control over drinking.
- Remove alcohol cabinets or avoid stocking beers in your fridge will help you control.
- Surround yourself with non-drinkers
When a person reaches a stage where he gets dependent on alcohol, it will be best to take help and seek medical advice. Get a therapy section, counseling or rehab and help yourself achieve the life you want without substance abuse.