In the last few years, art therapy is being used more. It is a holistic addiction treatment form that is integrated with other alternatives to help the substance abuser to heal. The creative process makes a person forget their physical and mental stress.
The artistic method of healing is also called expressive therapy involves expressing yourself creatively. It helps people find solutions and cope with their feelings, improve awareness, dampen the stress and boost self-esteem.
The art therapist at Arrow Passage Recovery Center is well-educated in human development and psychology. During an art therapy session, the patients can express themselves via drawing or painting. The art therapist is skilled in picking nonverbal metaphors and symbols expressed via creative and art concepts hard to express in words.
According to a study, 45 minutes of creative therapy helps to lessen stress levels even if you are not an artistic person. It works the same for every man and woman – artistic or non-artistic.
Art treatment for addiction concentrates on the following –
- Build self-awareness
- Explore feelings
- Develop social skills
- Resolve emotional conflict
- Reduce anxiety
- Handle addiction & other adverse actions
- Boosts confidence
- Avoids use recurrence
Expression or arty therapy for substance abuse treatment can focus on the following forms.
- Digital art
The art therapist will give a specific assignment, which you need to answer with art. You don’t need to be afraid as you are not used to communicating through art. The goal is not to create a masterpiece but make you feel at ease with this new way of expressing yourself. It has already proven to be effective with developmentally disabled children.
How can arty therapy help in addiction healing?
Incorporating art in addiction treatment is advantageous. The creative process is a healing tool that can help the abuser –
- Cope with emotions in a non-destructive manner.
- Reveal their repressed emotions and feelings before the therapist.
- Feel empowered during recovery and resolve issues without the need for drug support.
For several people verbal communication is hard. Arty therapy can help them express their feeling and thoughts, especially the ones with physical and sexual abuse. Some drugs when used for a long time can interfere with your communication skills. Creative therapy has opened ways for emotional release through self-expression, which helps in adjusting the recovery process by –
- Increasing motivation towards healing.
- Decrease denying substance abuse.
- Offer a safe emotional outlet.
- Lessen addiction shame.
Benefits of art holistic therapy for addiction
- Visual communication – After detox, you start feeling guilty, and remembering the past trauma that caused drug abuse can overwhelm you. Talking to strangers has stopped people from seeking professional help but the art healing process offers a chance to communicate without words.
- Self-reflection – During addiction, you live in a fantasy, non-real world. This misleading reality is not associated with the world but even with you. For example, sculpting or drawing along the journey of recovery will show you a different side of yourself.
- Self-confidence – You build a sense of achievement and progress.
- Emotional healing – You can explore and release painful emotions without words.
Art therapy releases dopamine that makes you feel happy, which increases your recovery from anxiety and depression!